The information below provides reference to the compulsory equipment required for the Red Bull Defiance two day teams event and the single stage events (Minaret Burn MTB and Skyline Traverse Run). Compulsory equipment checks WILL be conducted at race start and may occur at anytime during the course of the event.
Penalties will apply to athletes not carrying all compulsory equipment.
To be carried at all times on all legs by every athlete (except where illustrated) competing in any of the three of the Red Bull Defiance events (includes the two day RBD teams event, the Skyline Traverse Run & the Minaret Burn MTB). Please note the buoyancy vest is only required for the barge ride (Minaret Burn MTB athletes) and the kayak stages (RBD athletes):
- Backpack (at least 1.5 litres capacity)
- Thermal/merino gloves
- Thermal/merino balaclava or hat
- Waterproof (seam sealed and constructed of a durable material) long sleeved top
- Waterproof (seam sealed and constructed of a durable material) pants (not required for the Minaret Burn MTB or Skyline Traverse Run)
- 1 First aid kit per team, which must contain:
- – (1.5m long (un-stretched) roll of 5cm wide crepe bandage
- – 5m long roll of 2cm wide strapping tape
- – 10 band aid strips
- – 1 triangular bandage
- – 1 Small scissors
- – 1 survival bag (not a blanket)
- - Combine dressing 20cm x 20cm minimum
- Correctly sized clothing thermal/ merino full-length top (mid-layer garment with insulation properties, approx. 220-280 gsm.)
- Correctly sized clothing thermal/ merino full-length bottom (mid-layer garment with insulation properties, approx. 220-280 gsm.)
- Buoyancy vest (securely fitted, free of defects and of 55N minimum buoyancy). Note: This is required for both the RBD teams event and the Minaret Burn MTB. It is not required for athletes competing in the Skyline Traverse Run.
- 1 Mobile phone per team
Compulsory Mountain Bike Equipment
To be carried at all times on all legs by each competitor except where illustrated:
- As per Personal Equipment list, plus
- Mountain bike (to be safety checked at Registration)
- 1 spare tube per bike
- Tyre levers
- Bike pump (one per team)
- Multi-tool (one per team)
- Chain breaker (spare chain link/speed link is also useful) (one per team)
Compulsory Kayaking Equipment
- As per Personal Equipment list, plus:
- Kayaking helmet (designed for paddle sports – a cycle helmet is not acceptable)
- Buoyancy vest (securely fitted, free of defects and of 55N minimum buoyancy)
- Emergency whistle
- Repair/ duct tape (at least 10cm)
Please note: Spray skirts and kayaks are provided by Red Bull Defiance.
COMPULSORY RUN EQUIPMENT
- As per Personal Equipment list
|Bike Frame||Straight and no cracks or broken welds|
|Rear Shocks||No oil leakage or movement in bushings|
|Brakes- front and rear||Pads new or near new and adjusted correctly|
|Drive chain||Sprockets and cassettes for wear and chains oiled|
|Gear cables/housings||In good condition and adjusted accordingly|
|Front derailleur||Straight, correctly adjusted|
|Rear derailleur||Straight, correctly adjusted and all bearings and bushes in good condition including jockey wheels|
Hubs – bearings and rear freewheel in good condition
Spokes – all straight and correct tension
Rim – straight and sidewalls still have good thickness
Tires – plenty of tread and suitable for the terrain
|Pedals||Bearings in good condition and adjusted correctly|
|Cranks||Bearings in good condition and tightened correctly|
|Headset||Bearings in good condition and adjusted correctly|
|Seat||In good condition seat rails no cracked or bent seat|
EQUIPMENT TRANSPORT BAGS
All teams will be provided with two Red Bull Defiance duffle bags and a numbered lifejacket bag at race registration.
The duffle bags will be used to transport all teams’ compulsory stage equipment to transition areas. Bags will be pre-numbered as Duffle Bag 1 and Duffle Bag 2.
Teams will need to pack their duffle bags for Day 1 on Friday the 22nd January and hand them into the drop off at registration desk by 7pm. Used Day 1 duffle bags will be returned to Oakridge between 3–5pm on the Saturday 23rd January. The same procedure will happen again on the afternoon of Day 1, with teams re-packing their duffle bags for Day 2 and handing them into the drop off by 7pm on the Saturday 23rd January. All used duffle bags will be returned to Oakridge for collection on the afternoon of Sunday the 24th January and teams can collect the bags and any other equipment between 3–7pm.
Below details the contents teams need to pack in the duffle bags for each day and the transition areas where bags can be collected during the course of the race.
Refer to Compulsory Equipment (above) for further detail.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT CHECKS
Bike and compulsory equipment checks are to be completed at pre event Registration on Friday the 20th of January 2017.